Tik Tok: A Platform That Has it All

What is Tiktok?

Tik Tok is a free social media platform used for social networking opportunities that allows for users to create short videos to share comedy, tricks and hacks, educational resources, dances, etc. backed by audio clips like music or snippets from pop culture. Users can create, share, or watch on the platform.

How could I use it as a professional?

Contrary to assumptions, many users have been able to utilize the platform for professional development or creating content in their fields to educate others. Personally, I have some across numerous creators that use the platform to share Marketing tips for others in the Marketing industry on topics just as brand awareness, growth, and networking. Tik Tok has also been used as a mobilization tool for social justice advocates, creators like Tia Wood are Indigenous creators that educate people on the history of colonialism and Indigenous culture.

How can I find people on Tiktok to become part of my PLN?

By using hashtags on Tik Tok, users are able to find similar creators or content to enjoy and integrate into their field/classrooms. By following more accounts that align with your interests or field, users are able to curate Tik Toks algorithm to best suite their needs. While some may choose to share themselves on the platform, other educators benefit from the knowledge and content shared and utilize this with their students. TikTok is a versatile tool for networking, professional development, and creative expression.